Tuesday 13 October 2009

Bloggs's Guest Blog

My friend Hector Bloggs is doing a guest post today of Lord of the Rings - the Fellowship of the Rings by J R R Tolkein.

Thank you Hector for writing this review, I am sure everyone will enjoy your post.


This book is a very good story about hobbits, sometimes called halflings, and how one of them Frodo Baggins has to take a ring from a big volcano where it was once made by the evil spirit Sauron. This is a very good book with a lot of mythical elements to it. Frodo takes the ring with eight more companions: Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gandalf, Boromir, Aragon (the heir of Isuldur), Gimli and Legolas who is an elf.

It's an exciting adventurous story and well written. It feels as it's the right type of writing. It's very atmospheric and you feel as though you are there.

The movie is as good as the book except they changed a few things and they missed out a few things (Tom Bombadill and the Barrowwhites) which was annoying, because Tom would have been really good. When he puts the ring on his finger he doesn't turn invisible and that would have worked well in a film.

I would definitely recommend people to read this book, ages nine plus. My star rating is five out of five, well actually five and a half.

3 comments:

  1. I've never read Lord of the Rings, and I've never watched more than a little bit of the films. But I did listen to the radio series on Radio 4. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this review. "Atmospheric" is a good word to describe the book; it can be scarey, or mysterious, or heroic, but it is always quite intense and vividly done.

    More please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should read The lord of the rings, the first two movies were great

    ReplyDelete