Saturday 24 October 2009

Where am I?


Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce is a very good book. It is quite exciting and the main plot would never actually happen in real life but all the other things could.

It's about a boy whose brother gets measles and he has to live in a flat with his auntie and uncle. At first he finds it boring but then one night he creeps out to find a garden that in daylight is not there. He meets a girl who he spends lots of time with, named Hattie. She becomes his friend in the garden.

I liked how it always had that slight touch of mystery, and you were wondering what was really happening. I really enjoyed the characters because they had a good personality and it really showed that in the bbook. The two people who are friends, Hattie and Tom just seemed to click. They seemed like they were always meant to be friends.

This is a good book for eight plus but you might want to get your dad to read it to you like mine did. It gets four stars out of five. I give only four because some of the clues give the story away a bit too much, but it is still very intriguing.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one. Yet. Saw it as a play in the theatre about eight years ago, and thought it was good. Afterwards we got to have tea with Hattie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another book waiting on my reading pile which I now musrt read thanks to your review. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book as a child and I loved it again when my daughter read it. I like the way you review - you give just enough away of the plot to make some one read it but no SPOILERS! Plus you're not afraid to be honest....I think your blog is a reliable guide for those on the look out for something new to read.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another of my all time fave books : are you secretly reading my top ten list!! This is a wonderful story with two very different, and wonderful characters. There is a fantastic BBC dramatisation, which we we all watched as a family when my kids were young. Perhaps you can get it on DVD. Keep on reading and blogging, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete